Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Sweet Daughter, Niki Lyn... 3 21 1980


When I try to think back about the day Niki was born, the main thing that I remember was how scary the whole event seemed to me. I had Cesarean births so 30 years ago when Niki was born, they admitted you to the hospital the night before you delivered the baby the next morning. Well, the night I was admitted to the old John Graves Ford Memorial Hospital was a very cold and very windy night! In fact my window had a small hole in it and I about froze to death until one of the nurses came in and covered the hole with surgical tape!!! Thank goodness.. Back then the maternity ward was in a special wing of the hospital and it had two glass doors at the end of the hallway that stayed shut. No one was allowed past those doors unless it was visiting hours! There were no phones in the room and the tv was a tiny one, maybe 5 inches and it hung on a swinging arm by the bed. The only phone was a pay phone in the emergency room door way and you could only use it at certain times. The whole birthing experience was kind of like a prison for mothers. Needless to say, I did not sleep at all the night before Niki was born.

The next morning, made the isolated night I had experienced, all be forgotten. I had the smallest little baby girl and she was just beautiful. God blessed me with a little girl, the one I had always dreamed about. Jamie was three at the time so he was a great helper when we brought Niki home from the hospital. He loved her so much and so did my whole family, however, Niki only had eyes for her mommy, me! She would not let me out of her sight. She absolutely wore me out! I tease her now because she was my "high maintenance baby" and I never made a move without her attached to my side. Believe me, I loved every minute of her claiming her mommy as her only love, but I don't think I ever went to the bathroom, took a bath, ate a meal or slept all night without my little Niki hanging on to me.

I learned so much from Niki and the main thing was if you wanted something you had to get it! She was, and still is, a determined soul. All of her life, if she wanted something bad enough, she would sell cans, pick up walnuts, babysit, mow the yard, and beg to get the money she needed! It was an adventure watching her at work, but she never failed!!

I still spend everyday with Niki by my side. I have no clue what I would do without her and I don't want to find out. Her determination now goes to getting things her children need, helping others and helping her family. So, on this day, Niki Lyn Brandenburg, I want to say "Happy 30th Birthday" to my daughter, my friend and my business partner. God knew what He was doing when he gave you to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment